Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Garden Angel: A NovelCutter and Elizabeth, two Florida women with little in common, forge a deep friendship in this crisp, unusual novel. Trouble strikes them both at once, in the form of Cutter's sister, Ginnie, who is in love with, and newly pregnant by, her English professor, Daniel, childless Elizabeth's husband. Elizabeth, tipped off by an anonymous caller, ventures to the house Ginnie shares with Cutter, who was named Catherine but took her father's name. It's Cutter whom Elizabeth finds at home, and their shared dismay over the disastrous affair instantly binds them. Set in Sans Souci, Fla., this debut novel is atmospheric in the way of Southern fiction, but it is also brand new. With casual skill, Friddle makes the case that who we like in life may be as critical as who we love. The friendship between Cutter and Elizabeth changes everything. Elizabeth's money will let Cutter keep the house she venerates but that her sister and her brother, Barry, want to sell. And Cutter's practicality wrests Elizabeth free of her notion of herself as an invalid recluse in the Emily Dickinson mold. The happy ending may seem saccharine to some, but the majority of readers are likely to feel that there's vinegar and sharp greens enough along the way to merit the rich sweetness.


Copyright © Reed
Secret KeepersIn her second novel, Friddle (The Garden Angel) returns to the family plot for the surprising story of a dysfunctional Southern family, a long-buried secret and the possibility of redemption. Aging housewife Emma Hanley lives in Palmetto, S.C., but dreams of traveling the world; unfortunately, her long-planned European vacation must be postponed when her erstwhile husband up and dies after his regular Saturday coffee klatch with a gaggle of female admirers. Left alone, Emma must learn to deal one-on-one with her mentally troubled son Bobby, born-again daughter Dora and the ghost of son Will, who was killed in Vietnam. While her family goes to pieces, Emma lets her yard go to seed; enter gardener Jake Cary, Dora's old flame, whose efforts to cultivate Emma's garden soon spill into her family life. With fluid prose and telling details, Friddle deftly captures the downward pull of the past and the Southern penchant for mythmaking; transcending the easy stereotypes of Southern dysfunctional family sagas, Friddle's clan is a genuinely quirky lot with its own unlikely ideas of happiness. (May)


Copyright © Reed
 
 
I am currently reading both of these books but today I am going to read the garden angel I am currently on page 172  Love Cutter working so hard to keep her family historic generational home and befriending elizabeth the disfunctional wife of her sisters lover whos her sister just happens to be pregnant by. What will happen we will see.
Had hash for lunch one of my favorite comfort foods. What my dad always made from left over roast with lots of pepper in it. I put perhaps a bit to much salt but it was lovely........and comforting.................  EHERE WHERE IS MY COOPER RUN OFF AGAIN. I NEED HIME WHEN I READ.
BOB S AND JOE S GOING TO HONDURAS AGAIN. HOW SURELE. HOW PERFECTLY TO TURN MY TABLE.  MY TABLE..................
 
I FINISHED THE BOOK AND IT IS A 5 THE GARDEN ANGEL. I FELT IT AND FEEL IT . WHAT CAN I SAY

No comments:

Post a Comment